Friday, February 10, 2012

My view on e-books

Okay, after much consideration, I'm just going to come out and say it: I am not a fan of e-books.  Maybe this is librarian heresy, but I am sure there are some that would stand with me on this issue.  And, I say this for several reasons.  Before I go into them, I want to preface my comments emphasizing that I am speaking for myself only. 

While I realize that I said in my post on February 4th that I was a pluralist, I still consider myself that, regardless of whether or not you can be such without liking e-books.  In my mind, an e-book will never be the same as a real book, no matter what size your e-reader is, or how you turn a page with the touch of a finger.  Making notes in your Nook, Kindle, or other device as your read is not the same as being able to scrawl things in the margins of a physical book. 

Also, any belief that all college students read and love e-books is also completely false.  I agree that textbooks are expensive, and that e-books may provide a price break, as well as not break a student's back.  Cost is only one of the factors involved.  Not all textbook publishers have every text available electronically, and if you have a college age son or daughter, do you really want them staring at a 7" screen for the better part of four years and beyond? 

When students or other patrons do research, you can not simply walk up to a "shelf" of e-books and browse across spines and indices easily.  You have to enter and exit out of every book you're viewing.  Whereas in a library, it is easy to walk over to the shelf, pull down the books you need, find a table, and flip through them to find the information you need. 

I also find that I really enjoy the tactile sensation of holding a book in my hand, turning the pages, flipping back and forth easily at will.  The glow of an e-reader in my lap is of little comfort to me. 

So that's my argument, I'd welcome any comments if you have any.




No comments:

Post a Comment